Brazilians have 8 words for COFFEE beans
Americans have a rich SEX related vocabulary
Indians have rich vocabulary for RELATIONSHIPS
- (For eg. mamaa, chachaa, kaaka, taoo to describe UNCLE)
- Sehnsucht - Longing
- Heimweh = "home ache" = homesickness
- Fernweh = "far ache" = the yearning for somewhere far away
- Nahweh = "near ache" = the feeling of sadness that comes when you return home to find it is not as you remember it
RIVER in Chinese
This all and more support a theory saying that the importance of a concept in a culture is determined by the number of words used to describe it (in its various forms). I first came to know about it from my friend Venkat (an NCSTian).
1. Read the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis which is composed of two basic principles: linguistic determinism and linguistic relativity.
2. "Centrality of Snow in Inuit(Eskimo) culture is an exaggeration"